Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Home Organizing

When it comes to keeping a neat and tidy house, organization is key. How would you feel, if at the end of a long work day, you came home to a giant mess? No doubt, any normal person would cringe at the sight and immediately feel an overwhelming sense of anxiety creep up. The answer is organization. Not only does organizing things within your home keep everything looking neat, but it also makes it easier to find important documents and cuts down on excess clutter, which can attract dust mites and all other sorts of allergens that can affect your health. It's in your best interest to learn how to be organized!

Not all people are neat freaks. For example, whenever I go home to visit my family in New York, I joke around that my brother's bedroom is sort of like the "black hole" for bedrooms because you walk in and you cannot find anything. There are piles of clothes thrown everywhere, papers stacked up in haphazard piles and countless knick knacks strewn about. It always amazes me that he is able to find anything at all. Apparently, there is a method to his madness though. However, if you are ever planning on having anyone over, chances are that it will pay to be a little more organized.

One example of how it pays to be organized can be seen when I received a notice from the IRS last year. As it turned out, I was being randomly audited for taxes that I had filed from when I was in college several years ago. I wasn't worried because I knew exactly where to find the information for that tax year. If I hadn't been organized, I doubt that I would have found the information that they were looking for.

When I was in college, there was a girl on my cross country team who was notorious for being a "slob". She would leave dirty piles of laundry on the floor in her dorm room, and the garbage would overflow to the point where there would actually be trash on the floor. Eventually, things got so bad that when one of the dorm checks was performed, the fire marshal was actually called in, and she got in a lot of trouble because she actually had garbage piled so high that it was blocking the sprinkler system in the room as well as the exit. On top of this, she had a problem with rodents that had begun to make their presence known in the room.

Obviously, the above situation is a bit extreme, and my former teammate was given 48 hours within which to straighten up the mess in her room; otherwise, she would have been kicked out of the dormitory and been forced to pay a hefty fine. The point is this: organization ranks right up there near cleanliness. The more organized your home is, the more presentable it will be not only to those who come to visit with you and your family, but the more presentable and welcoming it will be to you when you walk in the door.

Avatar Toy

No comments:

Post a Comment